Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blue Bed

I hope you all had a great weekend! It always goes by so fast and now we are catching up on laundry, dishes and such. Fun, huh?!

We did manage to finish a big project this weekend. Son #1's New Bed! We bought this old waterbed frame (and waterbed mattress and heater) at a garage sale in May for $20. The sellers originally wanted $35 so we passed it up the first time. I kept thinking about it all day and hubby went back at the end of the day and asked for $20. Always ask for lower price at the end of the day at garage sales! Sellers don't want any leftovers!

This bed needed work but it had great bones. Plus it was a little big for the twin mattress we planned to use. This was built to fit a super single waterbed mattress. A father made this for his son several years ago. So we're glad to bring this homemade piece back to life! 

First hubby cut down the width to match our twin mattress size. He said that was so easy to do, so take his word for it. :)  


The other dilemma was the bed was too long for our mattress. So hubby made the awesome headboard to fill in the gap! He made it out of the side boards that would of held the waterbed mattress in place. That was just extra wood for us! There was one thing that I learned during this process is that hubby is good with woodworking. I need to put him to work more! LOL


Here are a close up of the drawers that go underneath. The bed was nice and dirty. Was probably stored in the shed for several years.


And here it is in Son #1's room today! First of all, he LOVES Blue!! Can't get enough of it! I was trying to convince him for red or black but it is his room and I want Son #1 to enjoy it. We had tons of paint samples to look at and he chose Canyon Blue (Pittsburgh Paints). I was a little nervous with this color since it is only a couple shades darker than his walls. I tried to steer him to a darker blue but this is the color he stuck with.


The blue actually turned out great! I sanded the edges and added some antique glaze and it made it a little darker to give it some contrast against the blue walls.

Son #1 has more room now with clothes storage under his bed! There's also extra space for toys/art supplies!



The headboard is my favorite part! It can also be removed and moved to the other end of the bed if we ever want to rearrange the room and move the bed to the other side of the room.

Hubby added some leftover paneling from our bathroom remodel to the back of it.


The knobs were an old brass color. Son #1 picked silver for the New and Improved color. I got a great spray paint color in pewter. And now the details really pop!


On both ends of the bed there is a small door for secret storage. Ssshhhh...

There's dead space behind the drawers so might as well take advantage of it. :) I spray painted the hinges pewter as well.


So for $20, some paint, a handy hubby and a little elbow grease...we have a super makeover! Son #1 is happy with it and that's all that matters! And thanks dad for helping us move it upstairs. This thing was a bear!



Now onto Son #2's new headboard/footboard makeover. Stay tuned for that! Have a super day!


Visit thecsiproject.com





HouseofGrace
 
Decor Mamma
 

 







26 comments:

  1. I LOVE this bed!!!! Great job refinishing it and making it work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kindra, The bed makeover is FABULOUS!! I really love it. Great storage space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kindra,

    That is one awesome makeover. It just goes to show with a little imagination, you can turn anything into anything :)

    I like the color your son chose.

    Can't wait to see the next project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one fab makeover. I would have never in a million years had the vision to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creatiive is that! It looks awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome!!! I love the secret hiding spot. i can think of like a billion things you can hide in there! THnaks for linking up!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bed is so awesome! I love the big bookshelf and the storage drawers, but the paint treatment you did is beautiful!
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great makeover, I am sure he will enjoy it!!

    janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous! It's sure to be a huge hit... and I love the pile of library books on the shelf.

    Can't wait to see what's next...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, SERIOUSLY love that bed! You did a fantastic job!! That blue is just perfect!

    Thanks so much for stopping by, the sweet comments and the follow! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This a terrific makeover! I'll bet he does love it. I would!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kindra, that bed is beatiful!! You are such an inspiration!! And the color he chose is wonderful! :) So glad to see you back!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! It turned out fantastic! I'm super impressed and inspired! I've never remade anything before, but if it will turn out as great as your project did, I'm willing to take the plunge! Great job! Love the color your son chose! The headboard is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a piece straight out of a catelog - great job! What a handy hubby you have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And this is why I'm glad you're back. =] So stinkin' creative! What an awesome transformation!! I think the blues look great and how wonderful to gain all that space too. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A-ma-zing! I love how this turned out. Love the color as well and how fun is the secret cupboard? You and your hubby did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! this bed turned out great... i wish my hubby was handy with wood. and i think he picked a great color. awesome job!

    jen@eighteen25

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the bed! What a great transformation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous makeover. It looks like a picture in a catalog. Your son has a great eye. The color turned out perfect and your husband did a great job. Very creative family!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! It really looks great! We have a similar spot in one of the bedrooms. It would have been a great solution when the children were little. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this kind of transformation--something cheap and used gets turned into something perfect and amazing with just a little bit of effort, time and imagination. Love it! Found your blog thru Frugalicious Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! You have such a great eye for treasures! And it looks fantastic - love the secret hiding spot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job on the bed! I love the colour and the pulls too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Remodelaholic will feature this great project. Nice Job!

    www.remodelaholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is beautiful! Nice job! I am your newest follower after deeing you featured on Remodelaholic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kindra! I'm visiting from Remodelholic. My ceiling medallion wall art was featured there yesterday...don't you just love her! That is an amazing bed! Love the color and all the storage.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!