Friday, July 23, 2010

Labor Of Love

OUR BATHROOM RENO IS DONE!! CAN YOU HEAR THE SQUEAL IN MY VOICE?
Come along and watch the journey of the past 5 months.

Here is the bathroom BEFORE! Oh where to start what was wrong with this room?!!! Original 1960's cabinets, white/pink/blue countertops, faux tile panel wall, VERY LARGE mirrors, outdated everything....

And with embarrassment, we had this house for 3 years before touching this room. Other rooms were more a priority.


2 homeowners before us remodeled this beauty. Isn't pretty? You would think they remodeled this in the 70's but NO FOLKS, it was mid-90's! They did a terrible job! My favorite was the faux venision plaster look. It looked like they stuck their hands in joint compound and smeared it all over the wall.

Don't you love the toilet paper roll IN the wall? And access panel.


I'm embarrassed to show you this but this was the water damage around the tub. Instead of fixing the problem the old homeowners filled up the rotten areas with silicone.



Here is the BIG cabinet behind the door. We debated to keep this or not. But we did and I'm glad because it is WONDERFUL storage!


Here is during...We started reno in February. I should say hubby because he did most of the work! Love you, honey! He took down all the drywall and most of the subfloor because there was so much water damage! Oh and he fixed the small leak that was the culprit of this big mess!

See the "special" cutout for the toilet paper roll? Looks like a lot of work for such an ugly thing...


Another view of the mess. Thankfully we had 2 other bathrooms. So at the end of working in there we would just have to shut the door.

We found some original 1960's tile behind the countertops. Now we know why they did the faux plaster treatment on the walls...to cover up the squares from the old grout.


Don't you love the bathroom light? We're pretty sure it was the original. It's okay to keep if the original if you really like it but don't you think you would at least tape off the light when you are painting the ceiling OR wipe it off when you have seen you accidentally painted on the light?!! You would think? There is a lot of "that" in our house. I LOVE our house but don't like dealing with old homeowners oops!


More mess...


Hubby is pretty handy. When he tore all the walls out, he moved the outlets around to more convenient areas in the room. This particular outlet was located right below the hand towel holder (the towel holder had no other place to go). So when we dried our hands, water dripped all over the outlet. It had a circuit breaker but it just seemed unsafe to me...


So before I make the big reveal and lots of pictures...I just want to express how much I love my hubby of mine. He worked hours and hours on this bathroom. He put off many projects this year to finish this! He works very hard for our family, so I know he's tired and wants a break when he gets home. He did 99% of this project. I just had the ideas, painted and decorated. So thank you hubby for being the greatest!!

So won't you come in?!!!

Wall color: Bamboo-Pittsburgh Paint
Ceiling/Trim: Delicate White-Pittsburgh Paint



Pictures will be quite random since this is a bathroom with lots of angles/close corners.

We (hubby) put up drywall then added panelling on top. Beadboard was added to the ceiling.


Oil Rubbed Bronze...yum. We got the sink (Price Pfister) and shower/tub (Delta) faucets at Menards.


We got the towel racks and hooks at Wal-Mart of all places.


Gotta love Goodwill! Toothbrush holder (for our boys) for $2!


Goodwill again: cup for 99 cents. :) I gave both of these a GOOD washin'!


The soap pumps are not matching but both oil rubbed bronze. I stole them from the other bathrooms. :)


My new favorite store: TJ Maxx! I haven't been in this store probably in 10 years. I was at Best Buy one day and TJ Maxx was right next door so I took a stroll on over...glad I did because I scored me some pretty plates! These were probably $15 total. Added a splash of red because it's my favorite color. :)


We bought the vanities unfinished from Menards. I painted them the same color as the trim/ceiling color but distressed them a little and added Early American stain made by MinWax. I wanted it a little lighter than my normal "Dark Walnut" stain I use.

The knobs/pulls are from Wal-Mart.


They did have oil rubbed bronze pulls/knobs but it was cheaper to get the silver and brass ones and then paint them with Krylon-Oil rubbed bronze.


In reality, this chair is being replaced with a Potty Chair...but for picture taking purposes, I thought this looked much better. :) Now if my 3 year old, stubborn son would actually use the potty chair, we would be in business!


I love our new wood floor FAUX real!! Laminate "wood" planks...the peel and stick kind. They look and feel like wood! Got these at Menards. Hubby placed them down in a random pattern.


The hand towels are from TJ Maxx. Cheap!


Pale yellow vase for $1 at a garage sale. :)


The light fixtures we actually reused from our old bathroom. The metal was silver before. I sprayed painted them a textured oil rubbed bronze. Oh and whenever I spray paint metal, I use a car spray paint primer. Works great!


The mirrors were found at Wal-Mart-Better Homes and Gardens. They are big! And I love the trim.


I opted for hooks instead of a towel rack since they are easier to hang for 2 little boys. Soft white towels from TJ Maxx. I like the look but I also got white because my 3 years LOVES ghosts! LOL He pretends he's one after his baths/showers. So gotta have white towels for play!


I got this pretty fabric at Hobby Lobby on clearance. Sssshhhh...it's pinned.




I used our old shower curtain. I'm sure I got it at Wal-Mart many years ago. :)


I took 1/2 off ribbon from Hobby Lobby and just tied onto the rings for a little color. I decided to do every other ring, I thought it might be "too much" with every one.


Remember the old light fixture with paint marks and all? It was replaced!


A little closer...much better. Oil rubbed bronze again. Again this was from Menards, I'm sure on sale, I think for $10 for 2 lights. The other light went in the hallway just outside the bathroom.


Here's a closer look at the wall and ceiling. I told hubby I wanted to do this in every room of the house now. He said he's on vacation!


Hello rain can shower! I took the first shower last night and it was wonderful!


Matching tub fixtures. The tub/shower surround is from Home Depot. It is a NO caulk system! Gotta love that. We still caulked Around the tub and shower.


A clickable drain stopper. It opens and closes with a flick of a toe. And no foot modeling contracts in my future...


The toilet view.


My mom made the Kleenex box. (It's made out of old lathe)


Here's my mirror that I redid the other week. My mom made the box with lavender. It was made out of old beadboard from on old house. And the pitcher was $2 from a garage sale. Oh and the shelf I made. It was supposed to be the other way around but I liked it "upside down". It's okay to change my mind, right?


I even spray painted the old fan cover. It was silver before with white ceiling paint on it....grrrrrrr.


Are you tired of pictures yet? LOL Here is the cabinet that is behind the door. I painted it an old blue color (left over from my son's room), then sanded and stained.


I even kept the old handles, but spray painted them.


The sinks are from Menards again. The are so big! I can take a bath in these things! LOVE them!






Basket from Goodwill. Great for a trash can and it was only $3!


Well that is the end of my tour. I hope you stuck around to see the whole post. Sorry for the picture overload but I wanted you to get the full picture. The items that we got like the sinks, faucets, vanities, shower, paneling, beadboard, drywall, subfloor...were all on sale. We were patient and waited and in the end we saved a lot of money!


I catch myself taking extra trips to the bathroom for no reason. LOL It feels like a Bed and Breakfast OR just not my house! Now I want the rest of my house to look/feel this way. Hubby's on vacation so I guess I'm on my own...I guess one project at a time.

Thanks so much for your visit and comments!













 


Photobucket






 
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 



79 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!!! You both did a great job. Doesn't it feel good to be finished!? It is a lovely room, you should both be very proud of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kindra, good grief!! i am loving that bathroom!! you all did a wonderful job!!!!


    oh about little boys and using the potty chair. gotta tell ya what my grandma did when my brother was little( a long time ago) , when i look back on it it was soo funny!!she gave him a tin can to carry around OUTSIDE to pee in....... and when he was inside she would set it in the potty chair and told him to AIM for it...
    he was trained in about 5 days!! he says he has such great memories about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kindra!
    Your bathroom is gorgeous! Love the beadboard with all the bronze fixtures. I make/am making the switch from primitive to a more Eurpoean Farmhouse look. It's been surprisingly easy just repainting and adding trim or new knobs here and there.
    ~Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I came across your bathroom from the Shabby Nest and had to comment because we are about to start renovating our currently disgusting bathroom. I hope ours ends up looking as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's phenomenal, Kindra! Wow! Everything is wonderfully done ... right down to the tiniest details, as always. I love it! And all of your demo and former homeowner fixes remind me of the giant mess we uncovered when we gutted the bathroom in our first house. Oh my!

    Enjoy all of your hard work, my friend. You've created another DIY masterpiece.

    What's next on the list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply GORGEOUS Kindra!! WOW..how could we ever get tired of pictures?! It is amazing. And you did it all on a budget and all of the work yourselves! What an accomplishment! I would be making extra trips in there too if I were you...so sit back and enjoy! Haha! Can't wait to see what you do next! LOVE your new blog! Have a great day! Take care. ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! I love the little ribbon on the shower curtains. So easy and inexpensive, but really made it special!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful transformation! Love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! Great job to you and your hubby! And I LOVE the plates on the wall. I feel a TJ Maxx trip in my near future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bathroom redo is beautiful!! Looks like it should be in the pages of Country Living Magazine. I love it...you guys did a great job!!
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your husband are perfect together, love everything thing you two did! I especially love the waterfall shower head...fantastic!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, it's absolutely fabulous! I LOVE the beadboard and pretty much everything else! You both did SUCH a wonderful job! And thanks for linking up to the party! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your new bathroom,,,,,,, wow, you should be so proud of yourselves, what a wonderful room!!! You and hubby make a great team! I just love everything about it, cant wait to see what you makeover next~!
    hugs, Darla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really terrific job! I just love everything. I love the clickable stopper in the tub. The only thing I would have done differently is install a glass shower door in place of the curtain. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely is the word that comes to mind when i look at this bathroom :)

    -Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the most beautiful bathroom I've ever seen! Ohhhhh, I'm in love! :-)
    We have a bthroom we need to start on......for serveral years! LOL
    Thank you very much for sharing yours.

    Enjoy your day.
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  17. The paneling is for SURE my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hubby did an amazing job! I can only imagine how long this took him. You did a great job with the decorating and designing. You two made a great team! Enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your bathroom. May I borrow your husband?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love it , Kindra. It's so light and airy--very cottage. I love the new design style you are developing. very chic......★ Linda ★

    ReplyDelete
  21. That bathroom looks amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a wonderful job on the bathroom. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great! I really like the paneling you put on the walls. The bead board ceiling is pretty fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the new bathroom, Great Job!!



    Enjoy, janie

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fabulous bathroom transformation! And what a lot of work!!! It is beautiful! It was worth the wait and the work. I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great redo! I love the beadboard ceiling and ribbon ties on the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woo hoo!!! You and hubby get a standing ovation! Your bathroom is fabulous. I gotta find the Menard's in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This makeover is so outstanding...love the beadboard and that old oak chair adds so much charm! Hope you have a FUN weekend.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness! Your bathroom looks amazing. So many little details, so much much love. Excellent job. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy cow - that's beautiful!! I would be going in there alot more than usual too if it were mine. I adore the beadboard ceiling and have that planned for one of my rooms. I also love what you did with that ceiling fan b/c that's exactly what mine looks like..it's getting painted now! Ok, and I have to say the floor is AWESOME! I never, never would have guessed that wasn't wood. How clever & a good idea for the bathroom! Great work and enjoy a nice break from projects! Have a good weekend & again, great post! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!!!I am so impressed. What a beautiful transformation. I won't even show pictures of our master bathroom. Eventually it will get redone!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok - your bathroom is FABULOUS! I completely love it. It turned out great. I love the paneled walls and every single thing about it. I love that oil rubbed spraypaint too - it is the best!

    Thanks for linking it up!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is an absolute 10!!!! You and the hubs definitely hit it out of the ballpark!!! I love everything about it...especially all the GREAT buys!!!! Beautiful job!

    Found you at funky junk interiors and I am your newest follower!

    Have a great weekend!

    LaKeta

    1luckeegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your bathroom looks gorgeous now. You and your hubby did a really amazing job.
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Kindra! I'm Kendra! :) Ok...LOVE LOVE LOVE this remodel! WOW! You two did a fantastic job! Totally different room and you took the time to do it right... Love all the beadboard, the light fixtures, the faucets, the seperate vanities... all the details!! Beautiful!!

    Kendra @ Creative Ambitions

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE it all, it looks great and can't wait to see it. Even though its not primitive it has that country charm, just don't go modern on me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST AMAZING!!!! You and Dave did a great job. Sure wish my Dave was that handy!! I am so impressed with it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. My first reaction after seeing the before photos to the first after photo was, HOLY SMOKES!! Gorgeous makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your bathroom looks amazing!! I would be in there all the time too, just to look at how pretty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful! I love all the little touches you included.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's amazing! Thanks for some great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  42. It turned out beautiful!! You did a great job on it and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the new white look! I love that you painted things the oil bronze too. It really contrasts nicely with the white! Great job!

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's gorgeous!!! You and hubby did a marvelous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, Kindra! You and your husband did an amazing job! Do you make house calls? Absolutely gorgeous! Loved all of the pictures! Enjoy your beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Kindra, its just stunning. Love the beadboard on the ceiling and the walls. I may have to remember that for our remodel. The fixture are so elegant! I love the contrast. Tell your mom she did a great job with the lath boxes. How ingenious!! My 15 yr old daughter walked through and said Oh pretty bathroom! Great job you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful bathroom...so clean and relaxing too. I love your colors and all your thrifty finds!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings~
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great bathroom redo! I especially like the oil rubbed bronze shower/tub fixtures and the white dishes. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an amazing transformation! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I just had to stop by again to show hubby your bathroom reno. He gives you two thumbs up as well. And guess what? We found a Menard's about 45 min. from us so we went there today. I was like a kid in a candy shop! I found quartz counter tops, carriage style garage doors, a new front door, exterior lights, and vinyl fencing. Now I just need to win the lottery so I can go back and buy it all ;) We did get the exterior lights and hopefully we'll get them installed this week. Thanks for leading me to such a great home store!

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a great transformation! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  52. beautiful! very inspiring transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh wow!!!! I just want to live in your bathroom. It's gorgeous!!! Thanks for posting all the pics. I stuck around for the whole tour and loved every minute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow! What a wonderful bathroom you've created! I love all the wood paneling, and all of the details make it really special.
    I came over via Frugal Fridays. I just joined the party...better late than never (lol).
    Have a great day!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. You and your hubby did a beautiful job on your bathroom. It is totally unique and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh my goodness Kindra what an amazing transformation!!! You and your husband have done a wonderful job both of you should be so very proud. I LOVE the way you decorated everything. Oh by the way we NEVER get tired of pictures!!haha Hope you have a great week.

    Blessings,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  57. You did such a wonderful job! I love the farmhouse/ craftsman style! Just beautiful! I'm a bargain girl too so I can really appreciate projects like these with small budgets!

    Visiting from Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  58. That is fabulous! Great job by hubby and you for picking out all those fabulous things. That is inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Kindra!!! I LOVE your bathroom!! It is gorgeous!! Great job!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Kindra! Your makeover is gorgeous! You have done a fantastic job! Wanted to let you know I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  61. I just put the same flooring in my kids' bathroom. Don't you just love it?!!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  62. Great job!!! I love the new look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi. I was blog hopping and stumbled upon your beautiful blogsite...and boy, am I glad I did! Your projects were amazing (and you're funny too!) Everything is so pretty! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more of your projects! I'm now a follower. =)
    Have a beautiful day and God bless, Reina

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your bathroom makeover is amazing Kindra! I am so glad that I came over to have a look (from Perfectly Imperfect). I am so impressed with the results and I love how it was all done on a budget! Great work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  65. It's really really great Kindra!! Awesome job Dave....are you available for hire??:)

    ReplyDelete
  66. This is FANTASTIC! I love all the pictures. The cabinets, the beadboard, the little decorations are so perfect! Don't you want to just sleep in the bathroom so you can admire it?

    ReplyDelete
  67. So SO lovely!

    I think you could get away with tying that beautiful fabric on every ring. ;0)

    I just wanted to add that I have almost 3 year old twin girls who balk at the idea of using the potty.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Jaw-dropping beautiful and insprirational. We have two major projects going on right now--hall bath that still needs wall treatment and ceiling. Sunroom that needs ceiling. My inclination is to use beadboard and paneling. Could you share a little more about the types of beadboard and wall paneling you used. Did you paint them or did they come as is?
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  69. I'm a little late...but great job on your bathroom!! We are just beginning to tear into ours, but just replacing a window and putting in a new shower with ceramic tile. I do like the idea of painting the light fixtures though...I may steal that idea from you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Okay...I guess I am not meant to email you. I used your new email here and also tried your email that I had from when I ordered the blocks from you....they both came back!! Anway....I LOVE the new look of your bathroom...I love everything about it!! You did a fabulous job. What did you put on the walls??? I am going to redo the kids bathroom and I love the look. I love the beadboard on the ceiling too...looks great! You can come over and help me redecorate any time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Very impressive, thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  72. WOW...your bathroom looks AWESOME! Between hubby and you, you made some wonderful choices. I was so excited when I was reading back on your posts and saw the bathroom redo. I have been waiting for so long to see it :))))

    Hope you are a having a wonderful weekend so far!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  73. Hi Kindra, I am so happy for you.... your bath looks AMAZING!!!!. Great job on it!LOVEEEEEE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Love your bath; great job!

    Sue @ Beach Bungalow
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  75. oh so there IS a light at the end of the bathroom renovation tunnel?! your reno is GREAT, girl! seriously!!! wanna come help with mine?? love it.

    ReplyDelete
  76. This is SUPERB!! You are SUCH an inspiration!! I want to do SOOOO much to my house now!!! LOVE your decorating and EVERYTHING!!! I'll be following you now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  77. Just stumbled upon this while looking at another post. Wow! What an incredible decorator you are!

    ReplyDelete
  78. What an amazing transformation!!! That bead board is awesome and I am in love with the plates on the wall. Fantastic job lady.
    ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!