Wednesday, August 25, 2010

State of the Art

What do you get when you have some old garage sale frames, scrapbook paper and gorilla glue...then put them all together?!! A fun art piece for Son #1 aka Mr. K's room!



My son loves maps. We live in Nebraska. So gotta highlight our great state!

What I used:
2 garage sale frames-the small one was 10 cents and was already painted the pretty blue. I sanded it a little and added some Early American-MinWax stain to it. The bigger frame was probably 50 cents. I painted it cream and just sanded the edges.

I cut out the state's shape out of brown cardstock and added the star for Lincoln, our state capital...which we live just 20 minutes south. I used off white cardstock for the background to make it pop.

In the bigger frame I used a piece of scrapbook paper that I got on sale at Hobby Lobby. I love the colors in it!!


Here's the fun part. I cleaned up the dusty glass real good. Then I just glued the small frame right on to the big frame's glass. I used Gorilla Glue. I love that stuff! I placed a heavy bowl on top until it was dry and secure.


So now we have a fun art piece to showcase our great state. Not bad for probably $1 in materials!


This is super easy for anyone to make! Don't want to showcase your state? How about your child's art, photo, monogram or a favorite sport/activity...? The ideas are endless. Hope this inspires you to go through your old frames and make a creation!

Have a beautiful day!

 
 



Show and Tell Green









11 comments:

  1. Amazing Kindra! Your great ideas are endless! This look fabulous and it also looks like it is worth waaay more than $1.00! Great job! Hasn't the weather been gorgeous?! We have been enjoying it to the fullest! Take care! ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. I love it! All four members of my family have been born in a different state. I'd like to make all four and group them together on the wall. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Kindra, great idea and wonderful job on it!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Nebraska girl at heart, you know I love this! :) Love seeing all the cool stuff you've been doing. Have a great day!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your state patriotism! We live in Texas but have Nebraska roots and can't wait to move back!

    Your projects are so cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I can see how that could translate into all sorts of cute things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need this featured at Dollar Store Crafts- it's a great idea, for little cash! EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cute, and I love the price tag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this idea - to layer to pictures like this is SOOO awesome....totally gonna copy that from you...someday! Loving that I found your cute little blog!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!