Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Free Cabinet Makeover

Hello Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. I work night shift on the weekends and lately my body is not agreeing with me working nights. It usually takes me a few days to get back to "normal". So bare with me. LOL

I got this great cabinet at a garage sale for FREE this summer! I couldn't believe the sign said FREE on it, so as I was about to scoop it up. Some guy was a few steps ahead of me. I was bummed. So I headed to the next garage sale a few houses down. At the corner of my eye...okay I was standing there watching, as this guy and his friend were trying to shove this cabinet in their trunk. It was no way fitting. This thing is 5 feet tall!

So I went back to the garage sale and asked the owner if they were coming back with a bigger vehicle and she said no.

THEN IT'S COMING HOME WITH ME!
Thankfully I had hubby with me and tarp straps!


She's pretty. But unfortunately she's make from plywood and laminate. :(

A little TLC was needed. We added some leftover paneling to the back for extra support. Plus it was much prettier than the original cardboard back


I also filled in holes with spakling where there were chunks taken out here and there.

It sat in my garage for months because I knew a stinky job had to be done to make this thing over!

Oil-Based Primer.

"Sticks to glossy surfaces without sanding".

Make sure when working with this that you are in a well ventilated area and wear a mask.

2 coats will do.


Picking out a color was the hardest part! I first wanted to do it white, then I decided dark.

I painted the base coat black with leftover paint I had.



The inside I painted white so the display area could be seen better.

Then I painted the top coat a dark chocolate brown. Again just some paint I had laying around.

When painting, I purposely left some black showing through. When dry, I added a dark walnut stain to the brown. Early American stain to the white. Just to give it a little "age".


After days and days of drying last week...we finally hauled it upstairs to the dining room.

It fit perfectly in an odd spot I have always had difficulty "filling in"!


The original knobs I kept because they are really cute!


Here's the inside with the paneling and aging.


It had great molding details for being a cheap laminate piece!

I did add 2 pieces of beadboard on the sides at the bottom. There were 2 "chunks" taken out at the bottom and a "molding" piece is great at hiding things like that. :)


I just love her. And all I had to pay for was the primer!

It has wonderful storage as well! The bottom is for coloring/activity books for the boys.


Soon I will be painting my living/dining room a much lighter color...but that's another day. 

One project at a time, huh?

Here's my 25 cent garage sale cornucopia. Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner?


Thanks for visiting today! I'll be back soon!


HOG


18 comments:

  1. Love it Kindra and for free??? Great job!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful rescue makeover, Kindra! What a nice piece for storage and displays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this turned out terrific! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brown over black technique! I have a coffee table in my garage that is waiting for a makeover and I just didn't know what to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a little hard work (refinishing is hard) what beautiful things we can make. I refinished two cabinets this summer, but I took the easy way and spray painted them black. I love them both! This is the first time I've tried "re-use it" and I'm so glad I did.

    Your final picture looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Kindra! What a find! LOVE the brown on black. It looks great in your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable that it's the same piece..Great re-do..It looks so nice in your dining room..

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job, kindra!! you always work magic with paint!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kindra,

    You blow me away with your makeovers girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. another amazing redo, Kindra!
    I would have grabbed it up, too!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantabulous Kindra!!! And you can never go wrong with free!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you sure can't beat free! You know how to land the deals, girl! Very nice makeover and it looks great in your little nook there!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. A girl after my own heart... she never leaves home without tarp straps! LOL!

    Fantastic freebie!!!! Looks great!

    Carmen and the Primcats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um... wow!.. Great find!.. and beautiful redo!!.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love the cabinet! Another awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a true inspiration. I feel energized to tackle some painting to window and door moldings that I have been putting off for some time! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!