Monday, November 29, 2010

From Blonde to Brunette Basket

Happy Monday!

How was your long Thanksgiving weekend?! I hope you all enjoyed yourselves with FOOD, Family, Worship and maybe even some shopping and football squeezed in!

This weekend was also a special time for me. As some of you may or may not know...my mom and I have been making/selling crafts for the past 6 years. After thinking long and hard about it, I decided it was time to quit. :( I work the night shift on weekends which is also my craft time. Lately, I just didn't have enough energy to keep up with craft fairs anymore. My family would of been put on the back burner and I didn't want my sons to remember me being some tired and crabby crafter. LOL

So Saturday was our last craft fair. We had an excellent day of sales and we were nearly sold out at the end of the day. It was nice not to bring much back home! LOL

The time with my mom sitting endless hours in our craft booths is priceless. Thanks mom for coming along with me on this journey. I did have fun while it lasted!

My mom has already taken up her free time in the last couple years with motorcycle riding with my dad. So she will also enjoy her time off riding in the wind. If you see a motorcycle in Nebraska and Kansas zooming by, it just might be my parents. :) They like to go on long rides and hit up junk and antique stores.

I did a quick makeover to share with you today!

I bought this nice big basket at a garage sale this summer for $1. I loved the style but not the color.

I love blonde but not in baskets and furniture. LOL



I debated back and forth on to paint it a color or not. I have a lot of painted furniture so after thinking long and hard on what to do with it, I decided to leave it a dark "stained" color. (I tend to do that with a lot of my projects...a color choice is always harder than the actual project!)

It was real simple.

I took some dark umber craft paint and watered it down and just started brushing it all over the basket. The paint brush was nice so I can get the bristles into all the nooks and crannies.

Not completely satisfied with the color, I watered down some black paint and slapped that on as well. I just really played around with the water and paint until I got the color I wanted. It took about an hour to dry and it was ready to go!

And here it is today!



The paint added just the right touch, don't you think?

I started on Christmas decorating yesterday. I filled the basket with some fresh greenery from my MIL's pasture. My hubby cut down some mini-cedar trees for me.


I hit up a junk store on Saturday, on the way home from the craft fair. I scored a nice big bag of silver and blue ornaments for 75 cents.


I just love the color of them. They are a nice muted color.

I think I'm going very simple this year for Christmas. We'll see when I pull out the totes later today. LOL



Do you have your Christmas Decor done?

10 comments:

  1. I like it. Try rubbing some Old english dark on it to give it more depth.

    Yep... Christmas decor threw up all over my house on Friday. It's disturbing really! LOL! Hope to get pics up soon!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the basket. I do paint baskets but I have to agree with you. I wouldn't paint that one either. I have heard about the Old English but haven't used it. I have tried Bri-Wax and it is way too hard to do on baskets. I think you have to put too much on to get good color and you have to rub it alot which takes it off. I use the MinWax because it works just right. Your basket is beautiful.
    Hope you keep working on crafts for your own enjoyment. I sure love the stuff you do!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning that "simple" is the new "beautiful"! And making it yourself only makes it "Simply Beautiful!"

    My Christmas decorating will not happen until after this weekend. But the planning is happening in my head right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the basket and the wonderfulness you put in it! I am sorry that you had your last craft fair, but I COMPLETELY understand! My last one will be Dec 10 and 11. I too feel the strain of working and not being able to be with my kids. Life happens too fast and while I enjoyed the craft fairs, I don't want to miss my life. Maybe when they are older but I am enjoying them now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kindra,

    The basket turned out great. Paint seems to be the answer to so many of our decorating problems!

    I've started with the Christmas decorating but no where near done. I try to do something different each year so it takes me forever. I can't wait to see what you come up with this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kindra!
    Love what you did to the basket and the oranaments were a steal at .75!
    I'm really going to try to keep it simple this year, I remember last year and how I dreaded taking down all that stuff:)

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss seeing you at the craft fairs. I really enjoyed all of the great things you two made. I can definitly understand where you are coming from. It seems like one day your kids are little & then you turn around & there is a young man standing beside you. Enjoy your time w/your little ones cause they grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindra,

    I do love the new color of the basket! That's so much richer and cozy! Great choice of color! And love the simple basket arrangement! And I really love your prices! :)

    Yes, I have my decorating done. I like for it all to be done before we go out of town for Thanksgiving so I can come home to our home decorated for Christmas and just ready for us to sit back and enjoy....especially those evenings with movies and hot chocolate together!

    Great makeover again! Thanks for sharing, Kindra!

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just LOVE this Kindra! The frame and wreath in your header is gorgeous! Have a great day!

    Janae

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the basket!! It looks great, especially with the ornaments you found. Enjoy your "free" time now that you are not crafting...my blocks you made are now worth even more to me since you are "retired"! :)
    I have my Christmas decor up, but will still probably "tweak" it a bit. I just put the tree up tonight!
    Have a great day!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!