Monday, January 24, 2011

Custom Bookshelf

My hubby has requested for quite awhile some bookshelves for our family room in the basement. I've been on quite the hunt for the past 6+ months for some affordable shelves but not too much luck. So I did the next best thing and tried to create some custom bookshelves of our own.

I went to Menards and picked up 2 nice large bookshelves for about $18 each. Menards had a great sale this past month on furniture. These shelves are nothing special...just basic and cheap.

I knew we would outgrow one bookshelf really quick so I decided to get 2.


Also at Menards, I grabbed some trim to dress it up a bit.
Here are the 4 different sizes/styles I used.


Before adding the molding/trim, hubby connected the 2 bookshelves together with some bolts at the top and bottom. This will keep them secured together, which is really important if we ever want to rearrange the room sometime.

Then I added the trim. A big thank you to my hubs for cutting my corner pieces!

As you can see, we added the casing to the bottom, crown molding to the top, the smallest trim on the 2 sides and the 1.5" trim to the middle-which covers up the seam where the 2 meet. To attach them, we used the handy, dandy nail gun. I filled in the nail holes with lightweight spackling and then painted the trim to match the main shelves.


I love how all the molding gave it a custom look, expecially the crown molding!


Now it looks like one big bookshelf waiting to be filled up with wonderful books for the whole family.
In the meantime, it is storing a few books, games and fun treasures!


I'll be joining some of these linky parties this week!
Have a great day!





20 comments:

  1. Okay that is fabulous! You could even add doors to the bottom. It's just amazing how trim can "fancy" something up. Great job lady...and hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kindra! You are amazing with molding... I would never think to do things like that. It looks fantastic. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous - making such a huge difference on these stock bookcases...nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Kindra! You are so good with wood and the tools. I only wish I could be, maybe I could get more done around the house...LOL

    Hope you are starting off to a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Kindra!! They look like you bought them like that! I would love to do something like this for our tv area. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fabulous, budget-friendly inspiration piece, Kindra! LOVE it, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! No one will ever know it was prefab. Yay Menards! You know I love that store. I need to pay them a visit ~ I'm overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks custom built, you anf hubby did a great job Kindra!! We did the same thing to a shelving unit that was left in the house still in the box, we added crown molding and flat molding and then hubby built a drop down drawer on the bottom and we painted it red of course!!LOL Its amazing what a little wood and paint can transform!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea!!! I just got 2 bookshelves off craigslist and I'm so going to do this to them!!! Thanks for the inspiration and I will link back when I do!!
    I'm your newest follower...come check out my blog when you get a chance :-)
    Shantel @
    www.itsapricelesslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this great demo!!!! I have been actually thinking of adding some molding to my closet shelves to give them more a custom look....We have quite a lot of left over trim in the basement and now, I may just give it whirl!
    Thanks again,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing. What a wonderful Idea. You are so talented.
    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! If you have not been by yet, make sure you enter my linky contest! The best of January 2011 will be showered with prizes! I also have some great Valentines giveaways going on right now!

    http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/01/strut-your-stuff-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! What a little molding and elbow grease can do! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great makeover! They do look like a higher end custom piece now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That looks great from $18 bookcases! They really do look like one nice big bookcase. Nice job! Visiting from Remodelaholics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is FANTASTIC! I've been struggling to come up with sightly solutions to my oversized book collection, especially with my growing collection of lovely hardbacks (they're my drug of choice!), and THIS is the PERFECT solution!!!! I will be copying this soon, I can assure you :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!! It looks like a piece from a high end furniture store!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just showed my husband your bookshelves with the crown molding, my shelves are from Target, he is off to Lowe's to get the molding...thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Kindra this is beautiful!!
    Practical too..and who CANT always use more shelving?!
    I love crown moulding..... you and hubby have done good!!
    Thanks for the tutorial too!

    With all my heart...Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you are looking for a great addition to a little girl's room then a bookshelves may be the answer.
    Custom bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!