Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little Touches To My Hallway

Happy Tuesday! We are enjoying our 2nd Snow Day from School. My boys have been enjoying this cold/wet stuff. And I've been enjoying it from the warmth of my own home!

I've been doing little projects here and there over the weekend.

Today, I'm finally sharing the details of our "new" hallway. It's hard taking pics of such a narrow space and really, I think it looks better in person. So I'll share with you the best I can.

Little touches here and there made this space complete.


The big wall already had a plan before I even started this big project. I received this frame collection from my hubby for Christmas. I missed a great Black Friday sale on a similar frame set at Target. But sneaky hubby found a better deal at Wal-Mart. 10 frames for $7. I do the checkbook so it's hard for him to hide what he spends on me. I'm glad he's thrifty as well. :)

And even though I could of found some frames at garage sales, this is still a great price. Less than 75 cents for each frame. Plus I didn't have to paint any of them. :)

I printed off some favorite prints of my family all in black and white to make the collection complete.


I found this FREE subway print over at Today's Fabulous Finds. There are 8 different colors to choose from. And the way it looks, she will be providing future ones as well. So I thought I would change this frame out every month/season.


I left nothing untouched in this space, even the doorbell cover got a makeover!

The original part of my house is from the 1960's. I'm sure this doorbell cover is original. For it being away from arms reach it was still in bad shape.

The star bursts from the design were missing. When I took it down, I just touched the plastic pieces and they fell off. So it took no effort to remove the rest of the starburst effect. LOL


I cleaned her up and gave her a couple coats of spray paint and now she's pretty.


Even though the doorbell cover was plastic, I sprayed the clean metal primer to it (because that is all what I had on hand) and the some Krylon Metallic Spray-in Oil Rubbed Bronze.

I used the same Krylon Brushed Metallic spray paint pictured but in Oil Rubbed Bronze finish.

I used the same paint spray treatment to the door knobs in this space. Before they were your basic brass door knobs. Some even sported some paint on the door plates. Lovely.


I cleaned them all up and sprayed 2 coats clean metal primer and 3 coats Krylon Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze. It's easy to do but just time consuming. I left about 30 minutes for drying time in between each spraying. They will be handled a lot and I want them to last for a long time. We did this treatment to our basement door knobs and they have lasted about 3 years now.


I love how they look next to the white doors/trim.


I also added some little touches here and there on the walls, but not too much. I wanted the board and batten to be the focus of the hallway.

I added a simple little plate I got at a garage sale for $1. It has the cutest detail.
I didn't want to go and purchase a plate hanger so I simply took a pop tab and hot glued it to the back of the plate for a hanger. It's a small/lightweight plate so this method worked great!


I grabbed a wreath that I already had in another room to add this space. I love shopping around my own house. :)


So there you have it. Simple, thrifty touches to add to our new space. We are enjoying it so much.


Now on to then next 1001 projects to do!

Have a wonderful day!


19 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! It looks wonderful Kindra!!! :) You are inspiring me to "lighten up" the paint colors in our house.....sometimes I feel like I go too dark! Thank you for the inspiration! Have a great snow day! ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I love your "new" door knobs I may have to "borrow" that idea! I also love to "shop" around my house! Your hallway looks really nice! Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindra-
    Your hallway looks awesome! So clean and fresh! My kids are so loving the 2 snow days...including me...after starting my new job for 3 days then I get a long weekend.
    Stay warm~
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindra....Your hallway is fabulous!!! It is bright, well done and so chic! I love it all...right down to the doorknobs!
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great project! I would have never thought of painting the door knobs. I obviously need to spend more time browsing the hardware stores to look for possibilities. Well, as soon as I finish browsing all the fabric stores ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. kindra, great job!!! i love it!!
    you are always coming up with the best ideas!!!
    i had painted my door knobs last summer amd love the look! we used the hammered finish( in autumn brown). it looks very vintage/rustic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like!! A. Lot. Have a great day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you've done with your hall and am so impressed that you were able to do it all for so little money! I'm glad you mentioned your painted door knobs have lasted for 3 years. I thought about painting mine, but was nervous that the paint would eventually start to peel. Also, thanks for leaving me a link to see your framed subway art. I really like how you used it with your other frames. (I'll be posting the Valentine's version today.) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hallway Kindra!
    Its so bright, fresh and airy!
    The black n, whites and black frames really stand out so nicely here.
    Love how you re-created that doorbell and the door handles look brand new!
    Im like you..I love to shop around my home for little touches too!
    Beautiful!!!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey kindra, Porkchops mom here, just seeing if the nickel spray paint is what is seen in the pictures. It looks like a dark grey or black on the doorbell cover, and knobs. Just checking. I have an OLD doorbell cover also. And spray paint is way cheaper then a new cover!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty Kindra!! I love frames in the hallway and looking at families when I walk through. We have a 1970's doorbell cover that needs serious help, might have to get out the spray paint, you inspired me!:) I love the way the door handles turned, I never though to spray paint them. Your new hallway looks fabulous, you did a wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this looks just fabulous! I love the change out frame. I like the family photos and the beadboard adds interest. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kindra... it looks so good! Wow on the doorbell cover! All the framed photos look great, too!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kindra you should start your own design and remodeling company....seriously people would pay you for YOUR talents I know I would!!! I just LOVE your new hallway, what a transformation!! Hope you have a great evening.

    Blessings,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, every time I come over here for a visit I have to add 1001 projects to my list, LOL! I had no idea that there was an oil-rubbed bronze spray paint! This could have saved us some money this past year, but I know it'll start saving us money right now! Every trip we make to Lowe's, we buy one of something... switch/plate, plug/plate, vent register, etc. because we are slowly changing everything over to the oil rubbed bronze. Our doorknobs are in great shape but the only gold in my home and I have never liked it but that's a lot of doorknobs to change out. $$! Guess I know what our next project will be, hehe! Thank you so much for sharing this. I have found my new favorite paint now.

    Hubby did a great job with the cost and the surprise! =]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it Kindra! The hallway is just lovely, love those black and white photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great, Kindra! I love the doorknobs and doorbell cover. Everything just looks perfect together. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never ever would of thought about painting door knobs. I may just have to use that one. I love how you think outside the box. We paint everything else, why not door knobs?!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!