Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rocking Chair Makeover

My good friend, Julie, passed along an old rocking chair to me. Actually her mom gave it to her to give to me. :)

It was a nice surprise when I saw it sitting in my garage when I came home one night.

So a couple weeks ago I started making it over on a nice warm pre-spring day...but that is when my whole family had the flu and I about passed out. So I went back to bed and it sat 1/2 finished waiting for me.

Finally yesterday I tackled this project.


And here she is today.


I painted the chair with some leftover black paint from my kitchen cabinets.


After it was dry I sanded down the edges with an electric sander. I sanded down the hard to reach areas with just a small piece of sandpaper.
Then I applied MinWax dark walnut stain. I love the richness the stain added.

Don't you like her legs?


I wanted to add a little detail to the chair. Taking advantage of what I had, I used this stencil from my kitchen project.


And stenciled just a small design to the back. I think it adds just a little enough detail without going overboard.


Sshhh...don't tell but she's still "tacky" from the stain.
After it's dry, I'll add a clear spray sealer so we can enjoy it outside.


Cost of my chair and makeover-FREE!
Love those kind.

Tomorrow I'll share another free makeover I whipped up this week.

I've linked up to a few of these fun linky parties.

26 comments:

  1. Kindra that is so beautiful!! I love the color and the stain together and the stencil looks gorgeous on it!! I am so glad that you are feeling better and able to do some fun things. :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sweet love the black and the stencil!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the distressing that you did to the chair and the stencil is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindra, I beyond LOVE it!! FREE?!....Awesome!! Have a great day!! ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous makeover, Kindra. I LOVE the black! Love the shape of the legs, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Those legs are gorgeous! Thanks SO much for your sweet comment on my blog and I hope you get to come back and visit again soon! Definitely a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kindra... it's perfect!! I love the stencil you used on it... very pretty!! Now it just needs a ruffled skirt...LOL!! ONLY KIDDING!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I am glad to hear that the family is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, the rocker is so pretty now! I bet'cha can't wait till the weather stays warm so you can sit outside and watch the boys play.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kindra! What an awesome chair. You did a wonderful job! And I like the free part. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great thing you did!
    Happy Spring!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the rocking chair. Love the black color and the stencil just made it. Good job. Where you gonna put it. Can't wait to see. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chair, for some reason I thought you was going to paint it blue, love it black. If you don't have a place for it, it will look good on my patio:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your chair looks great! I love the black. It will be fun to have it out on your porch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great makeover..I love the color and stencil and the fact that it was FREE..WOW..Can't wait for the next project you will be doing..Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty!

    I have a thing for chairs. I wish I had room for lots of neat chairs like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous transformation! I love the black color and the stencil adds a touch of elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very antique and beautiful collection you have shared of chairs. Love their color.
    -Home theater seats

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous, well done! Happy Friday Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job!! The stain and stencil add so much...I love it! :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I featured this on my blog today! Congrats, and thanks for the inspiration :)

    Come get a "featured" button, too!

    http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/04/sunday-features-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. that chair looks adorable! i think the stencil totally completes it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!