Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Newspaper Easter Eggs

Just in case you missed my March guest post over at Chicks Dig Deals.
Another fun Easter project!
Most likely you will have all these supplies already at home.

What you'll need are some plastic Easter eggs. We have several from past Easters.


Small piece of Wax paper
White Glue
Water
Plate or Bowl
Newspaper-torn into strips
Paintbrush and Craft Paint (not pictured)


First, mix a small amount white glue and water together in your plate or bowl. It will be a 50/50 mixture. Then you take a newspaper strip and dip it into the mixture to get it all "wet". Wrap the plastic egg with the wet newspaper strips until all of the egg is covered. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as none of the plastic is showing.


When the egg is all covered, squeeze the egg to secure the wet newspaper on the egg and to remove excess moisture.


Then set the eggs on wax paper to dry. Do as many eggs as you like. Allow to dry overnight.


When they are dry, pick your favorite spring color craft paints and paint away. I purposely left some of the newpaper print showing but you can do whatever you like best.


You can stop there but I went one step further and decided to add some Old English Scratch Cover to the eggs once they were dry to give them an "aged" look.



You can find Old English in the cleaning isle. Or you can also water down brown paint and that would give a similar effect. Aged or not, they still look neat.


These eggs are fun to add to your Spring decor...like in a nest, small bowl or an addition to a spring time wreath.


Also a fun project to do with your kids.




I'm linking up HERE

19 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous Kindra!
    You are such a busy girl...amazing you are!! :)
    Hows your week going?

    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning K. Thanks for sharing the ttutorial on the eggs. I love the texture of the finished ones, Might just give this one a try. Have a great day and have enjoyed your visits to my bolg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I did paper mache!! What a great idea for eggs - perfect project to make prim or shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. Would definetely be a project that my little one would enjoy helping with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! I did something similar, only using tissue paper. Newspaper is sturdier so you wouldn't need as much, and my, I have plenty of newspaper! Thanks for the idea. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these eggs, I tried wrapping mine in yarn and had the hardest time. These look just as pretty and not so frustrating! I'd love for you to share it today at my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! http://www.laughloveandcraft.com/2011/04/share-wealth-wednesday-link-party_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute, Kindra! Love that it's just newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea! Thanks for linking this up to our Wicked awesome Wed party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tip for using the Old English! I would never have thought of that. The eggs are awesome. You have inspired me to use newspaper in my next project, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! Love the colors you painted the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these!! And using the Old English -- brilliant! I actually have a bottle I keep for 'repairing' scratches on the furniture! Love the colors you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love the way these turned out! So cute!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great tut, love the eggs! Thanks so much and Happy Easter to you and yours! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea and the colors of the eggs. Any ideas on what color paints you used ? Would love to have the exact colors to make some..Love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colors I used were from Folk Art: Seamist, Parchment and Victorian Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. I also love your Spring Thyme blocks. Are they from a pattern ?

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!