Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mini Plank Wood Frame

Did you go check out my guest post over at Chicks Dig Deals last week? I show you an easy tutorial on how to make a fun plank wood frame.


I enjoyed it so much, I made a mini version to share with you today.


I cut 3 equal length 1x3's that I already had in my wood stash. Before I assembled the frame, I went ahead and painted them the colors of my choice. I used cream and seaside.


After they were dry, I attached all 3 pieces from the back with 2 pieces of lathe. I screwed them into each board to properly secure.


 I sanded down the edges and all over for the nice distressed look. I then applied Early American MinWax Stain to richin' up the color a little.


I painted a clothespin black then I applied a small piece of scrapbook paper to the front with modge podge. When it was dry, I sanded the edges and used some ink to darken the edges.

I then attached a clothespin to the middle piece of plank with a screw. There was already a hole in the actual clothespin. If you find that difficult, then Gorilla Glue will work good, too.


And now I have a fun mini plank frame to display one of my favorite photos from Summerstead. It's actually a postcard that she sent to me when I won her FAB giveaway awhile back. I just love Heather's photography. And this simple chair just makes me smile.


Thanks for stopping by today!

Linking up HERE

The Lettered Cottage


19 comments:

  1. These are great!! Love how you use the old wood.. very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool frame. Beautiful choice of colors! Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you at C.W. Frosting. I really like her blog. I'm just loving all of your things and your talent. It's inspiring! I liked your page on Facebook, as Melissa Hellmann Burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! Thanks for linking this up to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute..thanks for sharing your how to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vintage look you gave your frame. It came out lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those! Gonna check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great frame! I love your idea of adding the clothespin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw you on Creative Bloggers Party. I'm your newest public follower. I love your talent! I am so impressed with all the talent I found in this party. I would appreciate you following back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I would also appreciate if you would like me in facebook http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and in twitter @DeniseLillaRose. I always follow back. Just leave me a note so I know you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm visiting from A Bowl full of Lemons.

    I love the frame you made. I've been wanting a frame like this but didn't want to pay lots of money for the ones at the boutiques. I thought I should be able to make one. :) Thanks for the instructions. I will put this in my "Things to Try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your creations are stunning! I am a new follower. I love these frames!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping over from The Stories of A to Z.

    Super cute idea! I am going to have to make a couple of these!

    pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I saw this on Someday Crafts and just had to stop by! I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the mini version, Kindra. So cute! The colors are fantastic. Hope you're well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Such a great idea and I love how unique it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! This is so clever! How cute.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is a marvelous idea. people (aside from me, lol) are oh so creative! i have the mother load of pallet boards in my garage and i've been trying to come up with an idea for them. this is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea, so creative and versatile. I love the mini one, it would also be great to use in the kitchen to hold recipe cards. Can't wait to make one. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!