Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kids Job Charts

I HAD TO DO SOMETHING!
Nagging at my kids...especially my 7 year old to do his chores everyday was getting old for me and him! LOL So I thought of an easy solution to start the DAY after school ended.


To make my job charts pretty, I painted a couple garage sale frames with my boys' favorite colors: Blue and Red. I sanded down the edges and added a little stain...surprise, surprise

I printed out their lists. The glass of the frame makes it perfect for dry erase markers.


The list looks long but 1/2 of it has just the basic morning routine stuff like: brush teeth, comb hair, wash face, vitamin, make bed...I don't know if it's just my son or the boy in him but I'm constantly reminding him of these simple tasks.


When he does a task then he check marks the task. The major thing about this chart is that ALL these tasks need to be done by 9:00 am! He can get these done eventually...but it might be noon or LATER before he gets around to them! So the time limit was a BIG thing when planning these charts.


Besides the basic morning tasks, he also has a daily chore that involves more "work" and time. I've kept them simple since he's only 7.


After he completes all of his chores AND before 9:00 am, he writes a PLUS sign (+) on the correct day on the calendar. IF he doesn't complete all the chores then he will have to write a MINUS sign (-). If he doesn't finish all of his chores by 9:00 am, he still needs to complete them ASAP.

At the end of each month we will tally how many +'s and -'s he has. He gets a certain $ amount for each day and if there are any -'s then I will subtract from that amount.


For my almost 4 year old, I used Big Font and pictures to make it more playful. He enjoys "helping" me out and does all of these with very little or no help.


We are 1 week into our "summer" and I can happily say that this system has worked great for us!! My son gets it all done by 8:00 am most days! I think the best idea was the time limit. There is absolutely no nagging anymore on my part.

Hopefully this will flow great throughout the summer. Then my next plan will be a smoother transition into before and after school tasks/chores this fall.


Got a Job system that works great for your kids? I would love to hear about it!

Linking up HERE

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kindra~

    Wonderful idea!! Do ya think it would work for a 16 & 19 year old??? LOL

    Have a wonderful day~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea.

    Will this work for 13 and 12 year olds?

    There are days when I have to ask my girls if they've brushed their teeth. It seems that they get distracted doing their hair, putting on mascara, etc., and forget the most important hygienic task of all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever! I have made chore charts but part of the problem was remembering to print out another chart. Then we ran out of ink.... Anyway it didn't last long. This I think would work so well! Where did you find your pics for the little guy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kadie-I just used the clipart that was available on my computer. I'm sure there is a lot of options if you google clipart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Kindra!!!
    And great job kids!!
    Wonderful and fun way to keep up with the chores!!!
    This is perfect..:)

    Deborah xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea! I am totally gonna use it! MY oldest is 4 and I am trying to do chores and stuff, but finding things that fit his age was tough. I LOVE the before 9 thing, this is gonna be great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very cute! I made something similar but used chalk because my kids can't seem to handle having access to markers of any kind! They just LOVE to write on things they shouldn't! You can see my chalkboard chore charts at http://remarkable-home.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-sale-chalboard-chore-chart-15.html
    I do have them listed for sale but they would be easy enough for anyone to make that has a vinyl cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, I am working on a chore system for my 7 year old. Hope your little one keeps up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea, Kindra!! Wish I would've thought of the chart idea when my kids were younger! I do remember using a "time limit" for chores and curfews when they got older. We always had to say "9:00 by the stove clock". I hope it works for you all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to use a dry erase! I'd love for you to come link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ www.thrifty101.blogspot.com
    ~Michelle
    Thrifty101

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope...it's not just your boy! LOL! I'm thinking it is boys in general. :-) This is such a cute idea and I love that it is dry erase. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I'd be proud to have those on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this idea!! thanks so much for sharing. i have five kids 6,5,3,2 and 11 months, this would work well for the older ones. i had been doing a "hand" i traced my hand. put on five tasks and when they finish each one they get to give it a "high five". it works...but i like your idea a bit better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your post on my quest to find age appropriate chores and/or some sort of system for my 5 and 3 year old. Especially because baby #3 is due any day now and I’m all for promoting more independence in my kids. They can do chores, but we don’t have a system. I think we need the visual for chores and personal care needs like getting dressed and brushing teeth- our ongoing battle. By the way, I’ve found this Mom’s Guide to have some really helpful tooth info and tips: http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/. Thanks for your post. Your framed charts are beautiful and I love that they are re-usable from week to week! I'm inspired!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!