Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer Time Wood Plank Picture Frame

I just love wood plank picture frames. If you search for them online, you can find them easily for about $50 each! Yikes! Well I'm going to show you how to make your very own for Free-$3, depending on what you have at home.

All you need is wood, screws and paint.

I will show you how I make mine but really you can make it out of any size of wood you have on hand or prefer. As long as each of the wood pieces have the approx. the same thickness, then you should have no problem.

I started it off with 3 pieces of 1x3's and 2 pieces of 1x2's. I had all this wood leftover from a previous project. I wanted my frame nice and big, so each piece is 20 inches long.


I then decided what size I wanted my opening for a picture. I wanted to work with the wood and not against it. It makes for easier cutting.
You can see my box below that I measured out with a ruler. For this frame, I wanted around a 5x7.


This is how it looks with the "center" cut out.


The hole looked a little big for the frame. So I added 2 more pieces of 1x2's to the outside. Now I think that looks much better.


I then went ahead and painted each "plank" with my preferred colors. With summer just around the corner, I'm choosing RED, WHITE & BLUE.

After the paint dried, I sanded down the edges for that distressed look that I love. Then I flipped them over to connect the pieces all together. I cut 2 pieces of wood lathe just a little shorter than the width of the entire frame. Then I screwed in from the back. You can even use wood glue to secure it more.


I also nailed a small piece of plywood to the back for the picture opening.
It doesn't have to look perfect. :)
Attach a small sawtooth hanger to the back for easy hanging.



Flip it over and now it's a fun frame to enjoy those summertime memories!


Here's a better look at my sanded edges.


It can displayed horizontal or vertical.


A fun and easy project to whip up in no time!

Click here for another version of a wood plank picture frame I made.

Linking up HERE

16 comments:

  1. So cute Kindra!
    You are one talented lady!
    Love all your crafts :)
    Have a great week xo

    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kindra--
    I love the frame. What do you use to sand your edges? I have tried different things and none seem to work as well as I what I see you do.

    You are always an inspiration.
    Have a great day,my friend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. I am loving the partriotic crafts for summer. This one is at the top of my list of favorites.
    following you now.
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I use an electric sander with 120 grit sandpaper. Hope that helps out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. :) Following you from MMM. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link up party going on over on my blog right now. The most viewed link will win a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels. This week I’m co-hosting with Reasons to Skip the Housework…so links will show up on both blogs! How fun!

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Kindra. I love the red, white, and blue. Hope you're having a good summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE! This is too stinking cute! I am doing an America the Beautiful series right now on my blog. I hope you will hop over and check it out!
    Jenni (your newest follower)
    kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindra,

    It's hard to describe the anticipation I have waiting on your blog page to come up.....I'm always excited to see what you've come up with next! I LOVE this frame! Thanks for the idea....I will be passing this along to Jason! :)

    Tammy (Country Girl at Home) - Blogger is still not letting me leave comments through google on blogs that have the comment page on the same page as the post...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, thanks for the great idea. I just got into blogging and I am amazed at all the talent. My new blog is poppiesandpinwheels.blogspot.com if you get a chance to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is so cool, love how you distressed it! Came over from the Homemade by you Monday.


    Hugs
    Shirley
    www.lookatmycutestuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How festive for July, Kindra. Hope all is well with you.

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice last week. Hope to see you back this evening

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great project!! Perfect colors for the 4th!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there Kindra...wanted to let you know that I featured this beautiful frame on my little bloggy today! Come by and take a look if you get a chance...
    http://creativecarmella.blogspot.com/2011/07/friday-faves.html

    I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend!!

    ~Carmella

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is, indeed, easy and fun! The part I love the most is painting the frame. This would give me something to do on my free time. I can also get my creative juices running and make my own design, right? This is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!