Monday, October 3, 2011

Makeover Monday: 'Life Is Beauty Full' Sign


One of my favorite things to do is giving new life to furniture and decor for my home. What great satisfaction I get from making something from ugly and plain to something fun!

Each Monday this Month, I'll feature a makeover I whipped up. I try my very best to use what I have at home when it comes to the makeover. There is always leftover paint, wood and trim from past projects that I have stored away for projects like these.

I'm excited to show you what I did over the weekend. I created this fun sign with one of my favorite sayings.

"LIFE IS BEAUTY FULL"


It was so simple to make!

All you need is:
Piece of wood
MinWax Dark Walnut Stain
Craft Paint
Painters Tape
Stencil Brush
Stencils
Tape Measure
Pencil

Let's go over the steps!

I had this old sign that I didn't care for anymore. So I flipped it over and removed the sawtooth hanger off the back.


The wood was already nice and smooth, so it needed no prep work.

I wanted to create the look of planks on the one piece of wood. 

Now you can easily create a wood plank sign instead. Just head over to my easy tutorial on making a wood plank picture holder.

To create the look of planks, I decided to paint horizontal lines using painter's tape. I love painter's tape, I use it for everything!

So I measured 4 equal parts, for each word of my quote. I wanted each word to be the focus of each "plank".
My planks happened to be 5 1/4'' wide each but it all depends on the size of your board. So this measurement will vary to your taste and size of your piece of wood.


Then I placed a piece of tape at each marking. I don't like to mess with pencil marks so very small marks are only necessary.


Then I placed another piece of tape next to the existing pieces. I did no measuring on this step. I just allowed a small gap between the 2 pieces of tape.


Then I painted in between the 2 pieces of tape with dark brown craft paint.


I pulled off the painter's tape and now I have 3 lines with 4 sections for each word of my quote.


Now this is where you can do a couple options. You can either use paint or vinyl for your sign. You can create wonderful designs and words from your personal cricut or silhouette.

I don't have either so I used craft paint to first free hand a design inspired by a pattern I found on the Internet. It's not perfect. But that's okay because I'll be sanding and staining the piece later to hide the imperfections. But I like imperfections. :) I used a color called "seamist". I only painted this design on one section of my sign.


I already had some alphabet stencils. So I went ahead and stenciled each word with black craft paint to each section.


I used the painter's tape to keep my letters straight. I don't like to measure and mess with pencil marks.



After the paint was dry, I sanded down the wood to give the letters and design a little distressed look. Then I added MinWax Dark Walnut Stain.


The stain really made the "seamist" color pop. The design is subtle enough to add that extra detail without overpowering the the message of the quote.


Now I have a fun and inspiring sign to add to my living room that I created for FREE!


Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to come back tomorrow to link up to Terrific Under Ten Tuesday! A fun linky party for projects and fun finds for $10 or less!

Linking up HERE.

DIY Club


45 comments:

  1. Life is Beauty full Kindra and so is your sign! Great tutorial!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome project!! I absolutely LOVE the faux rustic look. I'm a new follower. Thanks for sharing!

    Alyssa
    www.SweetSewnStitches.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have a board that is stained that I planned on doing a different project, but now I may do this. I love the tape suggestion. I have the "disorder" that keeps me from writing in a straight line!

    New follower now! xo, laura@imnotatrophywife.com
    http://imnotatrophywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out great! Love the idea of using the tape to keep everything straight. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Kindra and your free hand design is beautiful! You always inspire me girl.
    Have a great day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sign, you did a great job and thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how awesome..love this idea!!:)) Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ and will love for you to stop in sometime...Loving your blog and off to read more :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just discovered your blog & I love it, defiantly one I will be following frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This
    is
    Beauty
    Full


    LOVE IT. Sharing this on COM-FB. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this alot! You make some really awesome signs:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty, Kindra. I love the "seamist" color. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a gorgeous sign! Love it :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course I love this sign!
    Karin
    www.artisbeauty.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. You totally had me fooled. Thought this was three pieces of wood. Nice choice in painting the lines. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is stunning! Love everything about it :) You did a great job. Featuring this on my FB Page!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this sign! It's perfect. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you created the looks of planks! So creative!

    Beautiful sign!

    Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing - I totally expected it to be reclaimed barn wood or something. I pinned ya! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great saying! And so beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great!! It would be so pretty in any home! I am visiting from Handy Man, Crafty Woman and I am a new follower!
    Hope you are having a good day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautigfful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! You are so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooohhh, so LOVELY!! And you're so right...life IS beauty ful!!

    Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/...hope you can drop by too...)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous, and I love the saying! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The sign is beautiful! Wonderful sentiment! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the sentiment, love the wood! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the uniqueness of this project. What a great idea. You did an awesome job.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is such a beautiful sign. So easy to do too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just featured this on my blog!!

    http://christinasadventures.com/2011/10/sunday-features-41.html

    And I pinned it on my Pinterest board!

    http://pinterest.com/christinasadven/20-below-features/

    ReplyDelete
  30. So glad I saw this on TipJunkie! Not only is the sign gorgeous, but the finish is just the color I've been searching for and not sure what it would be called since I'm new to the wood-finish game... Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have just discovered your blog, and wow! What a talented lady you are. Thank you for your generosity in sharing what you have learnt. I've been wanting to try this kind of sign for ages and will definitely be giving it a bash now. Best regards, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it!
    Can you tell me what type of wood the sign was made out of. I have a project in mind.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeous sign!!! I believe this is my first time here, love your blog!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can you share where/how you got the letter stencils? That is what is holding me back from making signs and I have some Christmas gifts to make. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Kindra, what a delightful job you did on that sign. Good job. Can't wait to see what you are going to come up with next. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over and visit mine and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful work! Your floral graphic is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a pretty piece of art. Great job.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this, and I'm so going to try it this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!