Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mudroom Makeover

Do you remember our kid rec/craft room project?
We had a partly unfinished room in our basement that was used as my craft room when I did craft fairs. It then turned into a catch all room.

So we cleared it out.


I let my oldest son pick out the color. He picked 'vivid turquoise'. And he was so happy to help paint!


After we painted, we added a faux wood floor with peel and stick vinyl tiles.
And now I am finishing up the room with the details to make it complete.


This is a fairly big room. It's the first room we come into from our basement garage. So it was important to have a mudroom area in there as well.

Here is the before mudroom area.
We made a faux wall with old doors, that helped divide the room from my junky craft room area...but that didn't help sometimes because the catch all stuff was starting to overflow into the mudroom area. LOL


Above the bench we had a fun peg board that displayed our boy's art. I decided to move it to another area of the room that I will show later. I had another idea for this mudroom area. :)


Here is the mudroom today!
A much more fun and cheerful area to enter each day!

We took the faux door wall down. But I really wanted to keep a couple of the doors still in the room. I have a thing for old doors! And these doors I scored for around a $1 each from a family member. I got plenty on hand, that I don't know what to do with. But that's a good problem to have.


I thought they would make a great backdrop to the mudroom area.
They were at different heights so my hubby cut one down to make them 'match'. We had to remove the door knobs but made sure we kept the old hardware and hinges on them. They just don't make architecture like they used to. My hubby secured them on the wall making sure to screw into the studs in the wall.


When we made the door wall, I painted them a mustard color and I applied a dark walnut stain to give them an aged look. I think they really pop against my son's vivid turquoise.



The doors made it easy to hang hooks for all the coats, hats and bags.
I found the black hooks at Menards on sale for 89 cents each.



 
We also added hooks we already had on the side for easy key access by the garage door.


The black bench and cabinet I already had in the old mudroom.
The black bench is homemade that I bought at a craft open house a few summers ago for around $25.

A basket doesn't seem like it's complete unless it's labeled these days. :)
The tags were made from turquoise cardstock I had on hand. I cut them out, then added our initials to each basket with twine.
We have 2 K's in our family, so I gave my basket an 'M' for Mom. :)

The black cabinet was a $1 auction find a couple years ago. It was bright yellow!


I added beadboard paneling to the back of the cabinet and then painted it all red as a base color. Then I painted it black allowing some red peeking through. Then I added dark walnut stain (I love stain!). I found the baskets at Michael's for 1/2 off.

I added some new rugs to the area that I got for free with a rebate I had from Menards. So really for this makeover, I spent less than $7 for the hooks.

A fun area to our new room!

More projects for our craft/kid room to come. Stay tuned!

Linking up HERE

46 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the doors! I saw on Pinterest (of course!) a door that had been cut in half and then attached to make a V. Shelves were then added to make a corner cabinet. Now I am on the look out for a door. Seems there is always another project in waiting. lol Enjoy your space, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mudroom makeover turned out awesome Kindra.
    I Love the old door with the hooks, idea. Wonderful colors, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new mudroom look! Old doors are the best to decorate with and they look so great with the mustard/walnut treatment you gave them. And you can't beat the price of $7 for a new mudroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out great! I love the door & I definitively agree that the mustard goes well against the blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love those doors with the hooks! It looks amazing & I love the hardware on them! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kindra, I just love how this turned out! Great use of the old doors, it's pretty and practical and $7?! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kindra this looks amazing!! I love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gorgeous! I am so jealous...I would love to have space for this! I have always wanted a mud room! Can't wait to see what is next!

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kindra it looks awesome in you new mud room, you are so good at repurposing old things, I love it!!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even tell you how much I love the pseudo-doors! I love the finish on them, they look great with the wall color!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the doors... maybe you could use two more in a corner and add shelving for a corner shelf that matches??? for toys to be picked up! :) I know... i have 2 boys too! wonderful project

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kindra I like it so so so much! Such a great idea with the doors and the hangers! And to tell you the truth, I'm so jealous of all you guys that you have mudrooms in your homes. Unfortunately, here in Greece there is no such thing, at least at mid class houses!
    Love, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! I love the old doors and the basket stand!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. KIndra, Love how it turned out!

    Finally, I convinced my sis about the shakes, please let me know how I can get them. Thanks for your help on this. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...you are inspiring me! I'm working on my basement, too, and progress seems so slow sometimes. You post has encouraged me to keep pressing on!:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love doors on walls! Yours look fantastic...so does the color!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what an awesome transformation Kindra, love it ALL!!! Great idea to keep some of the doors and add hooks to them. Don't you just love having a new, fresh, organized room? I'd probably just sit on the bench and soak it all in, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job, Kindra. Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love old doors & I love what you did with them. and that yellow auction cabinet looks A M A Z I N G painted black. Fabulous job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a change! That looks so much better. :) I love the dark woods against the bright gold tones of the door. I think the whole space feels a lot more open and organized so kudos on a job well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great Kindra! I love the organization. It looks really nice and functional too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks awesome! I love how you used old doors! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay I am seriously in love with your mudroom. I love the use of the doors and all the colors work great together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How incredibly creative. I love this! I've never heard of a mudroom but this is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a creative way to create a mudroom! I love those old doors. This space is pretty and so functional.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it!
    Now I must know more about this Be Mine Bonanza...
    Smiles~
    Gypsea Nurse

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great makeover! So daring to let your son pick the color! Gotta love Menard's free after rebate, my mom and sister are addicted, I'm safe cause there are no Menard's in TX, ha!
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job, Kindra! I especially love those baskets! :)

    I featured this on my blog today:

    http://christinasadventures.com/2012/01/sunday-features-55.html

    And I pinned it too!

    http://pinterest.com/christinasadven/20-below-features/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the old doors! Two would look great in my kitchen if you are getting rid of any :)

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful and inspiring makeover. I especially like all the reuse in this space! I'm your newest blog follower!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nice! I love the idea of the doors on the wall with the hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Door heaven. Love old real wood doors. The turquoise pops too. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice use of the doors. Love the turquoise and the black accents to really make it all sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kindra,

    This just might be my favorite makeover yet. Love that whole area - everything about it! You are awesome! Now I'm trying to brainstorm on where I could have something like that! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  35. You've been featured for Functional Friday!

    Thanks for stopping by to link up!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, Kindra! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button and thank you for joining Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, what a fantastic makeover at a cheap price! Great idea on the doors & hooks. It all looks so clean and organized!

    ReplyDelete
  38. YOU HAVE BEEN FEATURED ON COM TODAY! winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  39. This an awesome project and those doors are fabulous! We use old doors at our tag sales all the time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. How did you secure them to make a dividing wall? Free-standing...? I am using some old doors for similar projects in my workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  41. For the dividing wall, we screwed them directing in the exposing beam and posts. It was nice and sturdy. If you are wanting a free standing one then there are a variety of brackets that would work to connect them all together. Go to your local home improvement or hardware store and ask about them. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your mudroom makeover is gorgeous! I want one! I found you through Creating a Life of Grace. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just found you from What Megan Makes. I love that you kept two of the old doors! I'm planning a mudroom makeover soon too. Great color too :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!