Sunday, March 18, 2012

DIY Door Couch

Pin It

Welcome!

Like to keep updated on easy DIY projects?!
 Come on by and Follow Me on FACEBOOK!

I've been slowly adding details to our new craft and kid rec room. We have many areas of our room and one area that I am concentrating on now is the sitting area. This room is a space where I envision my kids and I creating and hanging out together.

I had this idea for a couple years now. So I was glad I finally had the space to finally do it. :) With the help of my handy hubby we created our own Door Couch just for this space!



I have a lot of old doors. I love them. I see one and want to take them home. LOL I scored some very cheap doors a couple years which turned out to be about a $2 a piece. That is a big bargain on old doors!


For the construction of the couch, we used 3 doors. One of the doors my hubby cut down in half to make the sides.

To attach it all together, we used pieces of scrap wood, mostly 2x4's.
We screwed one on the back.


And a couple pieces on the sides. These pieces are what the bottom door will sit on. It provides enough support for the weight of the door and people to actually sit on it.

We also put a piece of scrap wood in each corner on the inside for more support.


We then screwed all the doors together.

We purposely set the back door up a little bit to have a more 'couch' look.


I painted the door an off white. See, you don't see all the scrap wood when it's all painted and put together.

The actual couch construction, including the mattress box spring was free to make for us. These were items we had hanging around the house. The pillows I used were pillows I had all around the house as well. :)

The expenses I had was a piece of foam to go over the box spring, the cream blanket, pillow cases and fabric.


Painting the door was very quick to do actually. I love the distressed and worn look, so I purposely painted not a 100% of the surface. I didn't even have to sand or use stain to give it an aged look. The old doors had a wonderful old and crackly surface to start with.

I even left the door knob on.

And some hinges.


This room is our bright and cheery room. If you remember, I let my 8 year old pick the vivid turquoise wall color. Accent colors in the space are red, green, and yellow.

I used affordable pillow cases from Wal-Mart for the standard size pillows I had.


I also had pillow forms that I scored for $1 at a garage sale (They came from a clean house and pre bed bug scares...). So I splurged on some fun fabrics at Hobby Lobby. And yes, don't fall over, I sewed some envelope pillow covers for them! There was a lot of cussing, but I did it and I'm so proud of myself! If you know me, I don't sew.

We just love our new couch! Who knew how easy it was to create some furniture on a budget?!!


Just a few more details to finish to reveal the entire room to you. Stay tuned!



Linking up HERE

55 comments:

  1. Looks great! You did a wonderful job.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wonderful job! I love it. Great colors too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief that's amazing!! Only you could make a couch for free!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, it could double as an extra bed as well. I'll just have to lay down for a little nap after crafting all day. LOL

      Delete
  5. LOVE this!!! If I ever come across some old doors, I'll know exactly what to do with them. I wonder if I could put one of these outside in the summertime!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last summer I was thinking about similar benches for our deck but never got around to it. I do have a few more doors so who knows what I might whip up. :)

      Delete
  6. Very cute idea!! It is amazing that the mattress fits perfectly into the construction...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Kindra!!!!!And the pillows are just gorgeous xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great! I have talk my hubby into doing it sometime! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an AWESOME idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so creative! Looks awesome. I'd love for you to stop by Etcetorize to share this at the Make it Grea linky party going on right now: http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/03/make-it-great-monday_18.html . Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome. What a unique and creative place to hang out! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! Now get some old doors and your handy hubby for a little DIY project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea! I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great!! Awesome job with the pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful & such a cool idea!! I love the finish on the doors & all of those beautiful throw pillows as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea and so well executed. Just gorgeous :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! I love the doorknob on the back of it. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love, love, love it !!!! i'm pinning it as we speak- I have several old doors myself. I'll have to see if I can get my hubbie to help me make one of these. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! What a great idea! Uta :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! that is amazing! and you could even make one to use as a daybed- such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so cute! I just love your creativity, and it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopping by from the Show Me What Ya Got Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is AMAZING!!! So creative and it looks so comfy! I love the colors and all of your pillows. Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll definitely be featuring this one on Sunday! Have a great week.
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This couch turned out great!! I love the old doors it's made out of, and the fun pillows. I'd love for you to share them at my link party. It runs Tues-Sat. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-tuesday-7.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can see that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is just a fantastic project! I love it that you used doors - and it turned out spectacular! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a fun idea. Tell your daughter she has excellent taste in colors.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute--loving all those pillows. It all looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. that is amazing! i love that you kept the knob and hinges on. gives it even more character.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing! I love, love, love this idea! Awesome colors jumping out from every direction! Loving the pillows, too!

    I can't wait to see the entire completed room!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! If you were able to get your hands on one I'll bet a king sized futon mattress would be awesome here too, providing a back for the couch. This is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute and creative idea! Looks like a very cozy place to sit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks awesome! I love the color you chose to paint it and the pillows are super cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So FUNKY and great looking! I'm a new follower.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've featured you for Functional Friday!

    Thanks so much for stopping by to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This was posted on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have been meaning to come check this out for days now! I am with you, I have a lot of doors. They seem to find me! There is a church in my town that was being remodeled, it was originally built post WWWII and the doors are all old. They gave me 11 of them. No charge. I have the perfect place to make this and have it outside. I love your tutorial, it is just perfect and easy to follow. Thank you so much for sharing!

    I know this may have been seen all over bloggy land, but I would love if you could link this up at my party too! It runs all weekend until Sunday at midnight. There was a little snag in my blog server this morning and it is mostly up all over the U.S. and world now, but just in case you can't link up, please try again later. I would love to share this project with my readers, esp. in light of all the doors I have been blogging about!

    www.redouxinteriors.com

    Thanks! -K

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very cool, very cool! You've done a great job and I've got this linked to my sofas post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this, would be cute if you could cut a couple doors in half and make chairs to go with the couch. I am going to go hunting for some old doors....Thanks For The Idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. is the box spring from a twin bed?

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!