Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY Personalized Wood Sign

Pin It

I wanted a creative way to display my son's name letters in his new room. So I came up with a fun wood sign. I love the way it turned out!!




Let me show you how to do this simple DIY personalized wood sign!

First you need a piece of wood. Mine is 4 feet long (1x10), but you can use any length and width you want.  Then I found some very cool scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby that looked like chippy peeling paint.


I cut the papers down to equally to cover the length and width of the piece of wood.
I then mod podged the papers down on the wood.
Make sure not to use too much glue or it will make the paper bubble.


Don't worry about cutting the paper so neat and straight. The edges will be covered with trim pieces.
While the glue dried, I put heavy books on top of the paper to prevent any bubbles.


I then cut pieces of lathe to go around the edges of the wood and in between each piece of paper. I stained the lathe pieces with MinWax Early American Stain. I also stained the sides of the wood board as well. I attached the lathe with nails from a nail gun.


I already had these letters from Hobby Lobby that I painted black, distressed and stained. We had these displayed in my son's old room just by adding sawtooth hangers on the back. I didn't want these go to waste, so I used these for his new sign.

If you don't want to use wood letters, then you can easily stencil letters directly on the the paper or use vinyl letters from your Cricut or Sillhouette.


 I nailed each letter on each section with nails from a nail gun.

Now my son has a fun sign for his new room that is colorful and a little rustic (for mom's taste).



Here is the close up of the 'wood' paper. When I showed my hubby the finished sign he asked where I got the old wood at. :) He was surprised it was only scrapbook paper!


Here's the breakdown of the costs:

4 foot 1x10 wood board: $3.50

5 pieces of scrapbook paper at 36 cents each: $1.80

Wood Lathe: Free-Had on hand
You can buy a bundle of wood lathe for around $7 or $8. It will last you forever! I used it for a lot of projects!

Wood letters: Free-Already Had

Total: $5.30!


Another fun and easy project! And most importantly, I have a very satisfied customer. :)



Linking up HERE

33 comments:

  1. Looks Great~!!
    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wpw! This is pretty amazing. I really didn't realise the chippy old wood was paper until you showed how it was done. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! I totally thought it was wood!! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool project I also thought it was real wood! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kindra, As always awesome job! Love it. I will try it to my son's room too. And your DH is right, looks as weathered good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! love the rustic look and EASE of using these scrapbook papers - so smart!

    xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Kindra! This looks fabulous. I showed my 11 yr old son
    and now he wants one for his room.
    Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for sharing!
    Can't wait to see your son's room all finished.
    Enjoy your day!


    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't have believed that was scrapbook paper either! Such a great look. Thanks for sharing!

    Becca

    http://thesassypenguin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! I wouldn't have guessed it was scrapbook either. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought those were real barn boards behind the letters. No sawing involved.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute, personalized sign! I would never have known those were scrapbook papers. It looks like real wood!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have never known that was scrapbook paper!! So smart!! It turned so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for your kind kind comments! I really appreciate it! Now run to Hobby Lobby and find yourself some old chippy paint (paper)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cute idea. I love how versatile scrap book paper is! I might have to try this in my daughter's room since I'm currently remodeling it lol. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cute sign! Love the scrap paper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats amazing, I couldn't tell it was only scrapbook paper either. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That paper is amazing! Love the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing scrapbook paper! And I love the sign you created! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this and have already pinned it. Now I just have to think of a somewhere I could do it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kindra,
    Oh My goodness! This came out looking amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Make it a great day!
    Meegan@whatmeeganmakes

    ReplyDelete
  21. The name sign is awesome! I also love items with people's name on them. And you did this project so economically! Congrats on a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous-I would have never guess it was paper.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome project! Simple, affordable, custom but looks vintage at the same time. Nicely done!

    Jill
    www.jillstamps.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Found you on Someday Crafts, whatever goes wednesday so just poppin' in to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, love that you used scrapbook paper, and I love the wood letters much more than vinyl or stencils. Gives it depth and makes the letters really stand out. Love it!!

    Thanks for sharing at Simple Klassic Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that's awesome!! I saw that paper at HL and was trying to figure what to do with it. I picked it up to buy it but then put back and decided to come back for it if I come up with an idea. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This came out amazing! I love the way the wood has a distressed look to it. I'd love it if you would share this at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-2.html. I'm following through LF.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I never would have guessed this was scrapbook paper--I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kindra, you certainly have a way of working with wood that is unusual and the signs look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a wonderful idea, and I really like the combination of the rustic-beadboard-look paper combined with the rough wood border. I recently renovated my bathroom and have some leftover pieces of beadboard, so I'm thinking I could create a similar look using that.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you stopped by my blog! I appreciate all your fun comments!